I have made a few different jumbo muffins and so far this one if my favorite. The combination of raspberry and chocolate is so good together.
When making these, it is best to use ripe bananas. The riper the banana the more banana flavor you will taste. So once you have a few good ripe bananas sitting on your counter, you are ready to go and make this for a delicious breakfast.
It’s a good idea to wash the raspberries first so they have time to dry before mixing them into the rest of the ingredients. Once you have done that, set them aside. In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and butter using a pastry blender or fork. Make sure your butter is softened so that mixes in well. Once that is all mixed well, set that aside.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas with the eggs. Beat the mixture after each egg is added. Sometimes I use the mixer to mash up the bananas. Just don’t look away as I did in the beginning…I have had a piece of banana jump out of the bowl once or twice! :o) Then add in the milk and vanilla. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients to the wet and just mix until it is all combined. Do not over mix. Then add in one cup of chocolate chips, mixing just about five seconds. Next gently add in the raspberries. I mix them in by hand with a spatula since they are delicate.
Once you have the batter ready, prepare the topping if you choose to use it. Simple…just mix together ¼ cup brown sugar ½ tsp. cinnamon.
Place liners in the jumbo muffin pan. This recipe makes 12 jumbo muffins. When I make them, I use my large cookie scooper/ice cream scoop. The scooper holds ¼ cup of batter. Using the scoop helps with making them a nice round shape and is also easy to drop the dough into the muffin cups. Fill each muffin cup ½ to ¾ full. Place a few chocolate chips on top and gently press them down on top of each muffin. Sprinkle the topping on each one. Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Let them cool before eating.
Chocolate Chip Raspberry Banana Jumbo Muffins
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 6 tablespoon butter softened to room temperature
- 3 ripe bananas mashed
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1/3 cup milk I use Vanilla Almond milk or 1%
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoon chocolate chips to place on top optional
- 1 pint of fresh raspberries
- Topping optional
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Wash the raspberries and set aside so they can dry.
- In a medium bowl, using a pastry blender or fork, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and butter . Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mashed bananas and the eggs. Beat after each egg is added.
- Add in the milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix just until everything is combined well.
- Add in the one cup of chocolate chips and just mix just about five seconds. Gently add in the raspberries.
- Place in lined jumbo muffin cups.
- Add a few chocolate chips to the top of each muffin, if desired.
- Sprinkle topping on each muffin if you are using it.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes.