Crockpot Barbecue Chicken is one of our favorite slow cooker recipes and one of our favorite dinners to make. The chicken cooks slowly in the crockpot and is so tender (and tasty) when it is done.
This dinner takes about 15 minutes to prepare and then the crockpot does the work for you. Just place the boneless chicken breast in the crockpot. The onion is optional... I have made it with and without the onion. The onion does give it a little bit more flavor, but it is not necessary since the barbecue sauce already has so much flavor. We like to use the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que sauce. We found this sauce at the Dinosaur Bar-B-Que restaurant years ago and love that they sell their products at our local grocery store. It is our favorite barbecue sauce, but if you can’t find this one, just use your favorite one. Once you have the chicken (and sliced onion, if using) in the crockpot, pour the barbecue sauce over the chicken. I use the whole jar, which is a 19 ounce bottle. Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours.
When the chicken is just about done, you can cook some potatoes or pasta to go with the chicken. I just boiled some smaller potatoes and there you have it, a fantastic dinner for your family that tastes great and didn’t break the bank! Enjoy!
Crockpot Barbecue Chicken
- 1 ½ lbs. boneless chicken breast
- 1 bottle of barbecue sauce Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, 19 ounce bottle, is what I use
- 1 small onion optional
- Potatoes or pasta optional
- Place uncooked chicken into the crockpot.
- If using onion, slice it and place in crockpot.
- Pour barbecue sauce over the chicken.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Serve with potatoes or pasta.