Are you a fan of Peeps and Rice Krispie treats? If so, you're in for a treat! Peeps Rice Krispie Treats are a fun and delicious twist on the classic marshmallow and cereal dessert. These colorful and festive treats are perfect for Easter or any time you want to add a pop of color to your dessert table.
So Easter was just the other day, and I have four Easter baskets here that are loaded up with delicious chocolate candy, jelly beans, and marshmallow Peeps! How about you… are you in leftover Easter candy overload too? It is a fun time of the year, though.
The Easter Bunny hid 62 Easter eggs in our house this year…at the kids' request, of course... I think we found them all.
With our leftover peeps, we love to make multi-colored Peeps Rice Krispie Treats. They are really easy to make, and to be honest, I am not a huge fan of peeps - but I love these gooey treats!
These treats are the perfect way to use up leftover Easter candy, and the Easter peeps come in so many different colors - bright colors - so the cereal bars are such a fun and colorful treat!
- Unsalted Butter or Cooking Spray
- Rice Krispies Cereal - You can use the brand name Rice Krispie Cereal or a store brand "crispy rice cereal"
- Marshmallow Peeps - This is a great way to use leftover peeps that might be a little dried out. Just give them a rough chop. If you don't have a lot of packages of peeps, you can add in some regular marshmallows or mini marshmallows.
See recipe card for exact quantities.
- A Rubber Spatula
- A Large Saucepan
- A 13x9 inch Pan or Baking Dish
How to Make Them
These colorful Easter treats are so easy to make. They begin with a classic Rice Krispie treat recipe.
First, prepare a 13x9 inch pan or baking dish by coating it with butter or non-stick cooking spray. (You can also line it with parchment paper.)
Melt butter in a large saucepan pan over low heat.
Add in the peeps and mix well until the peeps are melted. (If desired, you can split the peeps into individual bowls by color and then bring them all back together at the end when you press them into the baking pan. If you do this, you can add food coloring to brighten the colors. I kind of like the hodge-podge of color.)
Remove the pan from the heat.
Stir in half of the crispy rice cereal and mix it together. Pour in the remaining three cups of cereal and gently mix until all of the cereal is well combined with the marshmallow mixture.
Spoon the cereal mixture into the prepared pan and spread it out into an even layer using the back of the spoon or spatula. If desired, you can press any other leftover candy into the treats as they cool - jelly beans, M&M's, sprinkles - whatever your heart desires!
Let the crispy treats cool and cut them into squares or use Easter cookie cutters to cut them into fun shapes.
It helps to butter your spoon or spatula when spreading out the Rice Krispies mixture.
If you don't have enough extra candy, you can just use regular marshmallows or mini marshmallows.
I would love it if you would follow me on Instagram and Pinterest for all of my recipes.
How to Store Leftovers
Store leftover rice krispie treats in an airtight container at room temperature with pieces of wax paper or parchment paper in between the treats if you stack them, so they don't stick together. They will stay fresh for 2-3 days.
Looking for More Fun Easter Recipes?
Easter Rice Krispie Treats are so much fun to make, and I have another fun recipe for Easter Rice Krispie Treat Eggs!
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and rating below. I love hearing from you.
Peeps Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 3 oz packages of Peeps (different colors are best)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- food coloring - pink, blue, yellow, purple to brighten the colors
- Melt butter in medium sized pan over low heat.4 tablespoons butter
- Add in the peeps and mix well. (If desired, you can split the peeps into individual bowls by color and then bring them all back together at the end when you press them into the baking pan. If you do this, you can add food coloring to brighten the colors. I kind of like the hodge-podge of color.)4 3 oz packages of Peeps
- Remove from heat.
- Add in the half of the Rice Krispies cereal and mix together. Pour in the remaining three cups and mix until all the cereal in mixed well with the peeps marshmallow.6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Spoon mixture into a buttered 13x9 pan and spread out evenly using the back of the spoon or spatula.
- Let cool for one hour and cut into squares.
Leave a Reply