Easter is not too far off…our winter here in WNY has been so mild it feels strange that spring is almost here. Plus with Easter being kind of early this year… It’s time to think about all the fun things about Easter. My daughter is getting so excited about Easter. I love watching the fun of the holidays through our kid’s eyes.
For the last few years we have made these Chocolate Surprise Easter Eggs. Rice Krispie treats are a hit with kids and even some adults. ;o) M&M’s are a favorite with just about everyone I know so putting them together just makes sense! And the kids get a kick out of something in the eggs. My daughter loves that when you give the eggs a little shake, the M&M’s rattle in there. Just a fun little treat…
A fun little treat that you can make! Just make Rice Krispies like you would normally. Melt the butter in a large pot on low heat. Add in the marshmallows and stir often until the marshmallows are melted and combined with the melted butter. Gradually add in the Rice Krispies cereal and mix until all ingredients are combined well together.
Once all ready to go, place a little Rice Krispie mix into each side of the greased plastic egg. Gently press mix against the sides of the egg to make a hole in the center. A little tip for working with Rice Krispies mixture… put a little butter on your hands to prevent the Rice Krispies mixture from sticking to your fingers. Drop 3-5 M&M’s into each side of the egg (this is a great job for little hands) and close the plastic egg. Remove the plastic egg from the Chocolate Surprise Easter Egg. When we make these, we only use a few plastic eggs because as soon as you are done making the Chocolate Surprise Easter Egg, you take it out of the plastic egg. So you won’t need to use the whole package of them, unless you want to. Continue making the Chocolate Surprise Easter Eggs until you run out of the cereal mix.
When we made them, we used the larger plastic eggs which made about 12 Chocolate Surprise Easter Eggs. These are best eaten within two days of making them. Store them in an airtight container. Happy Easter!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 bag marshmallows (10 ounce bag)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 1 tablespoon butter or baking spray (used to grease eggs with)
- Plastic Easter eggs
- Grease the eggs with butter or baking spray. Set aside.
- Melt butter in a large pot on low heat on stovetop. Once butter is melted, add the marshmallows. Stir often until marshmallows are melted and combined with the butter.
- Gradually pour in the Rice Krispies cereal. Stir with a spatula or large spoon until all ingredients are mixed together.
- Place a small amount of the Rice Krispies inside each part of the egg. Gently press the Rice Krispies against the sides of the egg so there is a little hole in the middle.
- Place 3-5 M&M’s in each hole (on both sides) and close up the egg. Open up the plastic egg and remove the Chocolate Surprise Easter Egg. Start again until you are out of the Rice Krispies mix.
- Store in an airtight container. They are best eaten within two days of making them.
- Tip: To help prevent the Rice Krispies mixture from sticking to your hands, put a little butter on your hands.