Ice Cream Pie is the perfect dessert for any chocolate or ice cream lover. It is an easy, no-bake dessert that would be great for your dessert table.
The two main ingredients are strawberries and your favorite chocolate ice cream. It is so creamy and delicious it will be hard to stop at one piece!
Chocolate and Strawberries are one of the best food matches, don't you agree? Now put them together in an ice cream pie...yumm.
In the warmer months, so many of us love to eat ice cream. It is the perfect way to end a warm, sunny day.
This Ice Cream Pie recipe is made of just a few ingredients and is a cinch to make. Not to mention it also is sooo good and creamy. A recipe that is made with ice cream, quick and easy to make...my kind of recipe!
And this recipe is no-bake so you will not be heating up your kitchen to make a delicious dessert!
The ice cream for the recipe can be any chocolate ice cream. Pick your favorite chocolate ice cream or one that is on sale. You will need just three other ingredients to make the pie...fresh strawberries, cool whip, and a chocolate pie crust.
How to make this Ice Cream Pie:
Prepare your strawberries by rinsing them in warm water and patting them dry on a paper towel. Dice the strawberries by cutting them into small bite size pieces. Set aside.
Scoop out two and a half cups of your ice cream into a large bowl and let it sit a little while so it can soften up. Softening the ice cream makes it easier to mix with the cool whip.
It really depends on the temperature that day as to how long you leave it out for. I would say about 5 to ten minutes.
Then once it is softened a little, add in the thawed cool whip. Using a large spoon, mix together until it is blended well. It will look like a chocolate milkshake when all mixed together.
Once you have that ready, gently fold in the diced strawberries.
If you LOVE chocolate (like me), then add some chocolate chips to the mix also. I added in about 1/2 cup of chocolate chips.
Pour the ice cream mixture into your chocolate pie crust and spread it out evenly and fill right to the top. I use a store-bought pie crust to save on time. If you prefer to make your pie crust, here is a great recipe to make a chocolate pie crust.
Since you are working with ice cream, make sure you work quickly. Place the pie onto a dinner plate and put it into the freezer for at least four hours.
Leave the pie in the freezer until you are ready to serve it. Give it a few minutes to soften before you serve it.
Drizzle your favorite chocolate topping over each slice once you place them on a plate to make it look pretty and add more chocolate for all the chocolate lovers out there!). You can also add some extra chocolate chips and strawberries to garnish with.
Have extra pie filling?
Now, depending on your pie shell size, you may have extra pie filling. Not a bad thing, right? Here are two easy options of what to do with the extra filling.
- Buy little pie shells and make mini-sized pies. Kids love these!
- Pour into popsicle molds. Again, a kid-friendly treat!
If you are going to make the mini pies, make them just like the regular-sized pie recipe.
If you are going to make popsicles, just pour any extra pie filling into your popsicle molds and leave them in the freezer for at least four hours. Take out and serve immediately.
I use a store-bought pie crust and usually have a little extra and make the popsicles. My family loves them!
- Not a chocolate lover? Then just use vanilla or strawberry flavored ice cream.
- Make sure it is placed straight in the freezer so it won’t make a mess before it sets. It will be a little runny before it hardens up.
- Favorite chocolate toppings that we like to use over the finished pie are Magic Shell or hot fudge.
- If you have extra pie filling and make the popsicles, here is a tip for getting these or any popsicles out of the mold if you can't get them out easily. Hold the mold under warm water for a few seconds. Then remove them and enjoy!
Would love to hear from you! Let me know how you liked this recipe or any other recipe of mine. Leave me a message below in the comment section. Have a great day!
Ice Cream Pie
- 2 1/2 cups your favorite chocolate ice cream
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, optional
- chocolate pie crust
- Magic shell or hot fudge, optional
- strawberries to garnish, optional
- extra chocolate chips to garnish, optional
- Rinse the strawberries with warm water and pat them dry with a paper towel. Dice the strawberries and measure out one cup. Set aside.
- Let your ice cream sit out for a little to soften up (about five to ten minutes...depending on the temperature it is that day). Then mix the softened ice cream and thawed Cool Whip in a large bowl. Using a large spoon, mix until it has all been combined well (will look like a milkshake once done).
- Gently fold in the diced strawberries. Add in the chocolate chips if using them.
- Pour into the pie crust. Spread out the pie filling evenly and fill right to the top of the pie crust.
- Place the pie crust onto a dinner plate and put in the freezer for at least four hours. Make sure the dish is placed in there straight so the pie filling doesn't spill.
- Serve immediately from the freezer. Drizzle with your favorite chocolate topping (like chocolate Magic Shell or hot fudge). Add additional strawberries or chocolate chips, optional.
- Store any leftover pie in the freezer.
Update Note: This recipe was originally posted in 2016, but was published again in 2019 to include step-by-step directions and new photos.