I have always been a fan of stuffed peppers and this recipe is my favorite one to make. I have been making it on a regular basis for a few years now. It is so easy to make and doesn’t cook that long in the crockpot. And, it is healthy and delicious! The quinoa, fresh herbs and veggies along with the rest of the ingredients fill the peppers with such great flavor.
I use quinoa in this recipe instead of the traditional rice. Quinoa is a grain that is high in protein, iron and potassium among other vitamins and minerals. It is easy to cook and tastes great in this recipe. Follow the directions on the package to cook the quinoa. In a large bowl, add in the sliced tomatoes, corn, onion, cheddar cheese, olives, basil, garlic powder, salt and pepper to the cooked quinoa. Add in 2 tablespoons of the parmesan cheese. Gently mix all ingredients together.
Mix the water and spaghetti sauce together. Pour half on the bottom of the crockpot and save the rest to pour over the peppers once they are in the crockpot.
Cut the tops of the peppers off and clean out the seeds. Scoop the quinoa mixture into each pepper and place them in the crockpot. If you have any leftover quinoa mix, top off each pepper with a little more as they sit in the crockpot (this way if it spills off, it is in the pot). Or, save the extra for later. It is so good you could eat that alone. Top with the remaining spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with the rest of the parmesan cheese. Cover and cook on low 3 ½ – 4 hours.
Are you looking for a quick and easy veggie dinner? Try these Vegetable Hummus Wraps…they make a great light dinner or lunch. :o)
Crockpot Vegetable Stuffed Peppers
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 pint grape tomatoes thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen corn thawed
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can 4 ¼ oz. sliced ripe olives
- 4 fresh basil leaves thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese divided
- ¾ teaspoon. garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 6 large sweet peppers
- 1 cup meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup water
- Cook quinoa following package directions.
- Cut up the tomatoes and onion.
- Cut the tops off the peppers and clean out the seeds.
- Mix the corn, olives, cheddar cheese, sliced tomatoes, onion to the quinoa mix. Add in 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Gently stir ingredients together until mixed well.
- Mix together the sauce and water in a small bowl. Pour half on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Stuff each pepper to the top with the quinoa mixture.
- Place the peppers in the crockpot. If you have any leftover mix, add it to the peppers once they are in the crockpot.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the peppers.
- Sprinkle the 2 tbsp. parmesan cheese over the peppers.
- Cover and cook on low 3 ½ - 4 hours.
Adapted from Taste of Home