Dark Chocolate Pretzel Granola Bars are an amazing after-school snack. Loaded with pretzels and chocolate - the good stuff - they are both filling and delicious.
This recipe for Dark Chocolate Pretzel Granola Bars is great for anyone, but I made this thinking of my kid as an after school snack. My son has an early lunch at school so he usually comes home looking for something to eat... right after he asks “What’s for dinner?” I think he has even asked that famous question before his jacket and sneakers are off! Teenage boys…:o)
For snacks in the house, I would buy the typical granola bar snacks but never liked the idea of the long list of ingredients in them. I remember hearing somewhere if you can’t pronounce it, you probably should not be eating it. Sooo, I am on a mission to make more homemade snacks for my kids….and my husband and I too!
Have you tried my recipe for No-Bake Energy Balls? That's another great quick and easy homemade after school snack. I call them after school snacks because that is what they tend to be in my house, but they are a great snack any time of the day! :o)
How to Make Homemade Granola Bars:
This recipe can be made in about half an hour. To start, line your 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper. Measure out the oats, cereal, and crushed pretzels. Mix them together in a bowl and set that aside for later. This way when your butter is melted, they are ready to go.
In a medium saucepot, heat the honey and butter on low heat until the butter just about melts. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the brown sugar, peanut butter, and cocoa powder.
Add in the cinnamon and flaxseed. Combine the honey mixture with the dry ingredients and mix well until all the ingredients are coated.
Press firmly into your baking dish and refrigerate for at least one hour. Slice into granola bars or squares and there you have it! A nice homemade snack for your kids, yourself, or whoever you choose to share with!
Store them covered. These are also great to add to a school lunch or an easy take-along snack!
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and rating below. I love hearing from you.
Dark Chocolate Pretzel Granola Bars
- ¼ cup honey
- ¼ cup butter
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 tablespoon Hersey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2 cups quick oats
- 1 cup chocolate rice cereal
- ¾ cup crushed pretzels
- Line your 13x9 baking dish with parchment paper.
- Mix the oats, cereal, and pretzel pieces in a bowl. Set that aside.2 cups quick oats, 1 cup chocolate rice cereal, ¾ cup crushed pretzels
- In a medium saucepan, heat the honey and butter on low heat. Stir often until the butter has just melted. Remove from the heat.¼ cup honey, ¼ cup butter
- Whisk in the brown sugar, peanut butter, and cocoa powder.¼ cup brown sugar, 1 tablespoon peanut butter or almond butter, 1 tablespoon Hersey’s Special Dark Cocoa Powder
- Add in the cinnamon and flaxseed. Combine the honey mixture with the dry ingredients and mix until everything is well coated.1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- Press the mixture firmly into your prepared baking dish. Place in the refrigerator for at least one hour to set.
- Slice into bars or squares.