Valentine’s Day is tomorrow! Do you need a last minute, quick and easy cookie recipe to make? If so, here is a perfect one for you to make. These Heart Sugar Cookies can be whipped up and you probably have most, if not all, the ingredients already in your house. Here in WNY it is 2 degrees outside today. So if I can skip a trip to the grocery store, then that makes me happy…and warm! These cookies would be great to make for your special someone, kids or for someone just because as part of my Share the Love idea (from my previous post).
To make them, cream the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the salt, egg and vanilla. Slowly mix in the flour. Once all the ingredients are combined, shape the dough into three separate dough balls. Place them in a bowl, cover and chill dough for at least an hour. I make them into three separate balls so I can take a little dough out at a time and the rest of the dough will stay chilled until I need it.
Once your dough is chilled, take out one of the balls of dough. Lightly flour your area that you will be using to cut out the cookies. Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Cover your baking sheet with parchment paper. Using your cookie cutter, cut out as many hearts as you can by leaving as little space in between each heart cut out.
Place them on the covered baking sheet, leaving about an inch between each cookie. Bake them for 8-10 minutes. Let them cool.
Once they are cooled, melt the chocolate chips. I melted just over a cup of chocolate chips and that was enough for my cookies. I made about 30 cookies, but the amount you will get depends on the size of the cookie cutter you use. My cookie cutter that I used is about 3 inches. Dip one side of the cookie into the melted chocolate or spread the melted chocolate over the cookie using a knife. Whichever way works best for you. Next, cover with sprinkles. Let them sit a while so the chocolate and sprinkles can set. And there you have it, beautiful little cookies for Valentine’s Day…or any day you want to share some love! :o)
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks), softened to room temperature
- 1 ½ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- Chocolate chips (milk chocolate)
- Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in the salt, egg and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the flour.
- Form the dough into three balls. Place in a bowl, cover and chill dough at least one hour.
- Once the dough has chilled, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.
- Cover baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Lightly flour your surface for cutting out cookies.
- Take out one dough ball at a time and roll out the dough to about ¼” thickness. Cut out hearts with your cookie cutter and place them on your covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Let cookies cool.
- Melt chocolate chips.
- Dip half of the cookie in the melted chocolate or use a knife to spread the melted chocolate over the cookie.
- Cover with sprinkles.
- Let them sit a little while so the chocolate and sprinkles can set.