Tacos are great for a summer dinner. Especially when you have homegrown tomatoes, fresh cilantro from the herb plant in your backyard. Plus, there isn’t a lot of added heat to your kitchen since the meat is cooked on the stovetop. One more plus…they are quick and easy to make. I remember my mom making tacos in the summer when I was a kid. Now I know why we had them often in the summer. ;o)
They really are a quick and easy dinner. Cook 1-1/2 lbs. of beef in skillet on medium heat. Once beef is browned, drain off the excess fat. Add 3 teaspoons of taco seasoning (Click Taco Seasoning for my version) and ¾ cup of water. If you are using more or less meat, just adjust the taco seasoning accordingly. This is what works for my family of four. Basically, for one pound of meat, use 2 teaspoons of seasoning and 1/2 cup of water. Turn heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes. While the meat is simmering with the taco seasoning, slice up the tomato, chop the cilantro and get all the taco fixings ready for your taco night. Don’t forget the lime juice. The lime juice and cilantro together really add a good flavor to the tacos.
Place the meat on your taco shell and drizzle with lime juice. Sprinkle the cheese on the taco. Add cilantro, tomatoes and greens. Drizzle with taco sauce if desired. What is fun about taco night is that everyone can make their own! It’s not only delicious but a fun family night dinner.
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 3 teaspoons taco seasoning
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ lb. beef
- ½ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Sliced tomato
- Dark greens
- Taco or cheddar cheese, shredded
- Hard or soft taco shells
- Juice from one lime
- Taco Sauce, optional
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix well
- Use 2 teaspoons of seasoning and 1/2 cup water for each pound of meat.
- Refrigerate any remaining leftover seasoning in air tight container.
- Cook beef in skillet on medium heat until browned.
- Drain the meat.
- Add in the taco seasoning and water.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer.
- Slice up tomato and chop cilantro.
- Place meat on taco shell and drizzle with lime juice.
- Add cheese, cilantro, tomato and greens.
- Drizzle with taco sauce, optional.