Baking is a favorite thing of mine to do. I love to bake for my family. I think my favorite thing to bake is cookies. A close second is making muffins on the weekend.
As much as I love to bake, I also like to keep an eye on what we eat. I believe everything in moderation. I recently tried this new Banana Chocolate Chip recipe that cuts down on the butter and uses egg whites. We all loved them.
You know how sometimes you try something that cuts down on the ingredients to be a healthier recipe…you buy the ingredients, take the time to make it and then it just doesn’t taste as good? Ugh…not so much fun. However, these are a not the case! They are delicious! You really need to make them this weekend!
They are pretty easy to make which is a plus. You just need to combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl. I really like to add cinnamon to my baking recipes. I not only love the taste of cinnamon but also love the smell…oh so delicious!
And did you know cinnamon has many health benefits as well? So once you have those ingredients combined, set them aside. Don’t forget to preheat your oven and place liners in your muffin cups.
In a large mixing bowl, cream the softened butter and sugar. Then add in to the mixing bowl one egg white at a time, mixing after each one. Add in the vanilla and mix well. Next add in the flour mixture, alternating the flour and the mashed banana, beginning and ending with the flour mixture. Then mix in the ¼ cup mini chocolate chips to the batter. You can use regular chocolate chips if you prefer or have them handy. I just like to use mini chocolate chips because it seems to spread out the little flavor of chocolate more. :o)
Divide the batter evenly into each lined muffin cup. This recipe will give you 12 muffins as long as you fill each muffin cup halfway. Sprinkle the tablespoon of mini chocolate chips over them and place them into the oven for 17-20 minutes. Let them cool before eating…and enjoy them with a glass of juice…or even better a nice healthy smoothie!
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and rating below. I love hearing from you.
Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- 1 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 egg whites room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium ripe bananas mashed
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips to sprinkle over the top of the muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Fill muffins cups with liners.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the egg whites, one at a time with beating after each one, and vanilla. Mix well.
- Add in the flour mixture, alternating the flour and the mashed banana, beginning and ending with the flour mixture.
- Add in the ¼ cup mini chocolate chips.
- Divide the batter evenly into each muffin cup, filling about half way. Sprinkle the extra tablespoon of mini chocolate chips on top of each muffin.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 17-20 minutes. Let them sit in the muffin pan for five minutes. Then place on a wire rack until completely cooled.