Indulge in a sweet and creamy dessert with this easy-to-make No-Bake Eclair Cake! Perfect for busy weeknights or special occasions, this recipe requires no baking and is sure to be a hit with everyone.
With a rich, creamy filling and a crisp, chocolatey topping, this eclair cake is a crowd-pleaser that will make a memorable addition to any holiday spread. So, gather your ingredients and get ready to whip up a delicious and effortless dessert that's sure to impress!
Éclair Cake is a recipe that my mom used to make when I was a kid. I remember always being so excited when she was making it. It still is a favorite dessert recipe of mine.
This recipe for Eclair Cake is quick and easy to prepare, which always scores points in my book! I love recipes that are simple to make and taste great! It will take you about 20 minutes to prepare this dessert, and then it will need to chill in your refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.
With this recipe being no-bake, it is perfect for those warm weather days. No need to heat up your oven!
This also makes a great holiday dessert. It is so easy to prepare, which will leave you with more time during the busy holiday season to get other things done and spend time with your family.
- Graham Crackers (Honey Flavored)
- Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- Thawed Cool Whip
- Chocolate Frosting
- An Offset Spatula or Icing Spatula
- A Medium-Sized Mixing Bowl
- A Whisk
- A 13x9 inch Baking Dish
How to Make No-Bake Eclair Cake
Whisk the instant pudding mix and milk together in a large bowl for two minutes until the pudding mix has dissolved. Using a spatula, gently fold the Cool Whip into the pudding mixture until it is well combined.
How do you 'fold' in a recipe? Use a rubber spatula and go straight down in the middle of the ingredients and fold over to the edge. Continue to do that until all the ingredients are combined.
How to Assemble the Eclair Cake
- Once your pudding mixture is ready, line the bottom of your 13 x 9 baking dish with graham crackers. You want the graham crackers to go the long way in the pan. (In my pan I use two full graham crackers & one-fourth of another graham cracker for each layer.)
2. Spread half of the pudding mixture onto the graham crackers evenly so that it so it covers all of the graham crackers.
3. Add another layer of the graham crackers over the pudding mix using the same amount as the first layer on the bottom of the pan.
4. Spread the rest of the pudding mix on the graham crackers. Add one more layer of graham crackers to the top of the cake.
5. Frost the top of the cake with the chocolate frosting. Spread the frosting evenly over the top.
Recipe Tip: To make the frosting smoother and a little easier to work with, you can place the frosting in the microwave for 15 seconds. Be sure to remove the foil liner from the frosting container before placing it in the microwave. Stir the frosting and then frost the cake.
If you want the frosting to be even smoother so that it pours onto the cake, microwave it for 15 seconds, stir, and then heat it for another 15 seconds. Pour the frosting on top of the cake. Then spread it out using an offset spatula or knife. Make sure your cover the entire top of the cake with the frosting.
I like to use an angled icing spatula to get the frosting as smooth as possible. The frosting is really not my thing, so this tool helps out a lot!
Place the cake in your refrigerator to chill for 8 hours or overnight. Leave it in the refrigerator until you are ready to serve it.
Store any leftovers in your refrigerator.
How to Store No Bake Eclair Cake
Cover the Eclair Cake with plastic wrap or store it in an airtight container. It should be eaten within 2-3 days. It must always be stored in a refrigerator, or it should be frozen.
Can Eclair Cake Be Frozen?
This Eclair Cake can be frozen, but the texture of the graham crackers does get a little mushy, so it is not ideal for freezing. If you must freeze it, freeze it for up to one month. Once the cake has been assembled, cover it tightly with plastic wrap and then foil. When ready to serve, place it back in the refrigerator to defrost for at least an hour.
- To make the frosting smoother and a little easier to work with, you can place the frosting in the microwave for 15 seconds. Be sure to remove the foil liner from the frosting container before placing it in the microwave. Stir the frosting and then frost the cake.
- If you want the frosting to be even smoother so that it pours onto the cake, microwave it for 15 seconds, stir, and then heat it for another 15 seconds. Pour the frosting right onto the cake. Next, spread it out using an offset spatula or knife to make sure all areas are covered with the frosting.
- Sometimes it is hard to get all the way to the edges of the pan. Just spread the frosting as far over the graham crackers as you can.
🙋♀️ Frequently Asked Questions
It needs to chill in the refrigerator for at least eight hours or overnight.
No-bake eclair cake is made from Honey graham crackers, cold milk, instant vanilla pudding, whipped topping, and chocolate frosting. It only requires five ingredients and can be put together in just a few minutes.
This easy dessert doesn't take very long to prepare, but it does take a little while to set up. It's best to make it the night before you plan to serve it to give the graham crackers time to soften and gives plenty of time for everything to set up.
Can You Make Eclair Cake with Different Flavors?
There are so many ways to change up the flavors in your Eclair cake.
- You can use chocolate graham crackers and vanilla pudding.
- You can substitute the vanilla pudding with chocolate or cheesecake pudding.
- You can make Strawberry Eclair Cake - use strawberry pudding with strawberry frosting.
- You can make Cheesecake Eclair Cake by using cheesecake pudding with strawberry frosting.
- You can use chocolate graham crackers with salted caramel pudding and chocolate frosting.
The possibilities are endless!
Looking for More Dessert Recipes?
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and rating below. I love hearing from you.
No-Bake Eclair Cake
- 2 3.4 ounce boxes vanilla instant pudding mix
- 3 ½ cups cold milk
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 16 ounce container chocolate frosting
- 1 14 ounce package graham crackers (honey)
- In a large bowl, whisk together the pudding mix and milk for two minutes, until pudding mix is dissolved.2 3.4 ounce boxes vanilla instant pudding mix, 3 ½ cups cold milk
- Using a spatula, gently fold in the cool whip until well blended.8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- Place a single layer of the graham crackers on the bottom of 13x9 baking dish.1 14 ounce package graham crackers (honey)
- Evenly spread half of the pudding mixture over the graham crackers.
- Repeat layering the graham crackers and spread the other half of the pudding mixture onto the graham crackers.
- Top with another layer of graham crackers.
- Spread chocolate frosting evenly on the top layer of graham crackers.1 16 ounce container chocolate frosting
- Chill cake overnight (or 8 hours) until it is set before serving.
- Serve chilled.
- Store any remaining cake in the refrigerator.
Update Note: This recipe was originally posted in 2017, but was updated in 2020.