Buffalo Chicken Dip is such a great appetizer recipe to serve at parties, for game day, or to serve with pizza. This creamy dip recipe is so easy to make and will be a hit for sure!
I grew up in Buffalo, New York...home of the chicken wing. This creamy buffalo chicken dip is loaded with that buffalo chicken flavor that we all know and love, but it is a little easier to prepare for a large crowd, and it has cheese. If we are feeling really ambitious, we will make our Buffalo Chicken Pizza Recipe or White Pizza Recipe, which both also have lots of cheese. Cheese makes everything better.
This Easy Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe is great for game day, pizza night, or to show off at a super bowl party. We like to make homemade pizza to serve along with the dip for a fun family dinner night!
This chicken wing dip recipe is the perfect party food for any time of the year!
There are many different recipes out there for Buffalo Chicken Dip. Some recipes have different ingredients and cook the dip in various ways.
Why you should make this easy recipe for Buffalo Chicken Wing Dip:
- You just need five simple ingredients to make this recipe.
- It can be made and ready to serve in an hour.
- Just a few easy steps to prepare this tasty recipe.
- It can be made ahead of time.
- It is sooo good! No one ever says no to a cheesy dip that is loaded with chicken and buffalo wing sauce!
- A Cooked Rotisserie Chicken or Uncooked Chicken Breasts
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Hot Sauce (we like Frank's Red Hot Sauce)
- Celery Sticks, Carrot Sticks, Corn Chips, or Tortilla Chips for serving
- Optionally, you can sprinkle blue cheese crumbles over the top or serve ranch dressing or blue cheese dressing on the side.
- Chives or Green Onions to garnish, optional
You can use either a rotisserie chicken that is already cooked or cook the chicken yourself. If you are cooking the chicken, add 20 minutes to the total time. (I also like to cook chicken in my Instant Pot and just shred it up.) You can also use leftover chicken, as long as it is not overly seasoned.
- An Electric Mixer or Wooden Spoon
- A Medium or Large Bowl
- A 13x9 Baking Dish
- Measuring Cups/Spoons
How to Make Buffalo Chicken Dip
Cook the Chicken
It is your choice as to which chicken you use, either a cooked rotisserie chicken or cook a chicken breast for the recipe.
I like to use rotisserie chicken when making this recipe. It saves time, is a great way to use up a leftover rotisserie chicken, and the recipe can be ready in about 40 minutes.
If you use a rotisserie chicken, you just need to cut up the chicken into small pieces and set that aside until you are ready to add to the rest of the ingredients.
If you prefer to cook the chicken yourself, you will need chicken breasts that are about one pound to a pound and a half. Place the chicken in a baking dish coated with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper and cook it in your oven at 400°F for 20 minutes.
Let it cool just a little, then cut up the chicken into small pieces and set that aside until you are ready to add the other ingredients.
You can also cook the chicken in an Instant Pot and shred it up, then set it off to the side.
Preparing the Buffalo Chicken Dip
Preheat your oven to 400°F (unless it is already heated from cooking the chicken).
This recipe can be made using an electric mixer or just mixing it by hand. Mixing it with your electric mixer is much easier, but if you don't have one, you can also mix all the ingredients together by hand.
Recipe Tip: Make sure the cream cheese is softened. It will be easier to blend in with the other ingredients if it is softened. To soften the cream cheese, I usually take it out of the package, cut it into a few pieces, and place them on a plate on the counter for about 15-20 minutes.
In a medium bowl, combine the softened cream cheese and sour cream. Add in the hot sauce (I use Frank’s hot sauce).
Add half of the cheddar cheese to the mix. Save the other half of the cheddar cheese to sprinkle over the top once everything is in the pan. Add in the cooked chicken and mix all the ingredients together well.
Scoop it into a 13 x 9 baking dish and spread the cheese mixture out evenly. Sprinkle the other half of the cheddar cheese on top.
Place in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
Garnish with fresh chives if desired. Serve warm with tortilla chips or fresh veggies like carrot sticks and celery sticks, and enjoy!
How to Store Leftover Buffalo Chicken Dip
Once cooled, we usually store leftovers in the pan they were baked in, with a piece of foil over the top. If there isn't very much leftover dip, you can scoop it into an airtight container. Store it in the refrigerator and reheat leftovers either in the oven or in the microwave.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! This easy dip recipe can be made earlier in the day and cooked later when you are ready to serve it. Just keep it covered in the refrigerator until you are ready to cook it in your oven. Uncover it before you place it in the oven.
Yes! The slow cooker method is a very popular way to make buffalo chicken dip, we just prefer to use the oven because it is faster. Simply cook the dip in a crockpot for 4 hours on low, stirring halfway through, then top with cheese and cover for 10 minutes to melt the cheese. (I also prefer the oven because the cheese gets crispy on top!) If you are making this dip in a slow cooker for a special occasion, you can keep it in the slow cooker on the keep warm function.
- Make sure your cream cheese is softened so that it will mix in with the other ingredients easier. To soften the cream cheese, I usually take it out of the package, cut it into a few pieces, and place them on a plate on the counter for about 15-20 minutes.
- The chicken you use, whether it is a cooked rotisserie chicken or you cook the chicken breast yourself, doesn't matter with the end result. The rotisserie chicken is great to use since it is already cooked and will save time preparing the dip.
- When rotisserie chickens are not available at my local grocery store, I cook a chicken breast. If you are cooking the chicken, add 20 minutes to the prep time. (You can also use your Instant Pot to make shredded chicken!)
- This recipe can be made in a 13 x 9 pan or smaller, like an 8 x 8 pan, with the same amount of cook time.
- If you want to make a spicy buffalo chicken dip, you can add a little extra hot sauce!
Hungry for More?
Try my Crispy Potato Skins recipe. They are one of my favorites! They are a great appetizer or side dish...I love having them with my Crockpot Tomato Vegetable Soup. And if you're like we are and love pizza and wings, you have to try my Buffalo Chicken Pizza.
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and rating below. I love hearing from you.
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 rotisserie chicken OR 1 lb. chicken breast (you can either use a rotisserie chicken or cook a chicken breast)
- 16 ounce sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup hot sauce
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (divided)
- chives or green onions, to garnish if desired
- tortilla chips
- carrot sticks
- celery sticks
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Dice the chicken into small pieces and set aside. (If using a chicken breast, cook the chicken at 400°F for 20 minutes before adding it to the cheese mixture.)1 rotisserie chicken OR 1 lb. chicken breast
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, combine the sour cream and softened cream cheese until blended well together (either using an electric mixer or by hand).16 ounce sour cream, 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- Mix in the hot sauce to the cream cheese mixture and half of the cheddar cheese.¼ cup hot sauce, 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Add in the cooked chicken and and mix in with the other ingredients.1 rotisserie chicken OR 1 lb. chicken breast
- Once all the ingredients are combined together, spread the mixture evenly into a 13 x 9 pan. (A smaller dish than 13 x 9 works fine as well.)
- Sprinkle the remaining cheddar cheese over the top, place it in the oven and cook for 20 minutes.8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded
- Garnish with chives, if desired.chives or green onions, to garnish if desired
- Serve warm with tortilla chips or fresh veggies like carrots and celery.tortilla chips
- Refrigerate any leftovers.
- Make sure your cream cheese is softened before you start so that it will mix in with the other ingredients easier. To soften the cream cheese, I usually take it out of the package, cut it into a few pieces and place them on a plate. I leave it out on the counter for about 15-20 minutes.
- To know if the cream cheese is softened enough, it should be slightly soft to touch and the edges will look softened.
- The chicken you use, whether it is a cooked rotisserie chicken or you cook the chicken breast yourself, doesn't matter with the end result. The rotisserie chicken is great to use since it is already cooked and will save time.
- When rotisserie chickens are not available at my local grocery store, I cook a chicken breast. If you are cooking the chicken, add on 20 minutes to the prep time.
- This recipe can be made in a 13 x 9 pan or smaller like an 8 x 8 pan, with the same amount of cook time.
Update Note: This recipe was originally posted in 2015, but was published again in 2023 to include step-by-step directions and new photos.