White pizza is one of our favorite types of pizza. There is something about the cheese, tomato and onion that is sooo good together. Mix in the fresh basil…yumm!
I tend to only use the fresh basil when I have it in my backyard herb pot during the warmer months. In the winter, basil just doesn’t seem to have the same flavor packaged at the grocery store. This is why I put it as optional. It is more flavorful but it is not necessary.
It’s a pretty simple dinner to make. While your oven is preheating, slice up the tomato and onion. It is better if they are cut thin. A little tip is to cut the tomato up first and place the sliced tomato on a paper towel. While they sit some of the extra juice from the tomato can drip onto the paper towel and not onto your pizza. ;o)
After greasing your pan, (which can be either a pizza pan or baking sheet), stretch out the pizza dough and place it on the pan. Pour on the white pizza sauce. I have tried a few different ways to make white pizza and once we tried it with the Beano white pizza sauce was it a hit with my family. I find it in the deli section in our grocery store. Make sure you give the bottle a good shake before using it because the seasoning tends to settle at the bottom of the bottle. Hold on to the tip of the bottle while shaking it. Otherwise it might come off and then have an oil spill to clean up. Yes, I know this because I have done this! :o) Cover the dough with the white pizza sauce. Place the sliced tomato on the dough. I usually fill it up pretty good with the tomatoes. Then add the onion on top of the tomatoes. Sprinkle on the chopped basil if using it. Add the mozzarella cheese covering the pizza. Sprinkle on the parmesan cheese if desired.
Place it in the oven on the middle rack and bake at 450 degrees for 12-15 minutes. It’s done when the cheese is melted and the crust is browned. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.
I make two of these pizzas for my family of four.
- 1 pizza dough store bought or from your local pizzeria
- 2 tablespoons Beano’s Classical White Pizza Sauce with Oregano
- 2 – 3 tomatoes sliced thin
- 1 small sized onion sliced thin
- Fresh basil 3-4 leaves finely chopped, optional
- 1 ½ - 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 1-2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese if desired
- Fresh chopped parsley to garnish if desired
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Grease your pan with butter.
- Stretch out the thawed pizza dough to fit the pan.
- Give the white pizza sauce a good shake to mix it up well.
- Pour the white pizza sauce over the pizza dough. Spread it out so it covers the dough.
- Place the tomatoes over the pizza dough.
- Add the sliced onion to the pizza on top of the tomatoes.
- If using fresh basil, add it to the pizza.
- Spread the mozzarella cheese over the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over the pizza as well as the edges of the crust.
- Bake at 450 degrees 12-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the edges are browned.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.