These Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies are so easy to make and melt in your mouth! They are perfect for any occasion and are also one of my favorite holiday cookie recipes.
As a kid, these Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies were my favorite cookie my mom would make for Christmas. I looked forward to them each year.
Not only did they taste sooo good, they would melt in my mouth…so yummy! So, once I had my own family I wanted to make them like my mom did for me. And I want to share this delicious recipe with all of you.
These melt-in-your-mouth meringue cookies are even better with the addition of mini chocolate chips! I think using mini chocolate chips spreads out the chocolate a little more.
An optional ingredient in this recipe is peppermint extract. My mom would always make them with peppermint which makes them tasty. However, once I forgot to add it and they still were yummy. So if you are a fan of peppermint, feel free to add that in.
And another fun part of this recipe is that you can add food coloring and make them festive if you like. My mom would color them green and red for Christmas. You could do pastels for springtime as well...
How to make Chocolate Chip Meringue Cookies:
Preheat your oven to 250°F. Place your cookie racks evenly from top to bottom in the oven so you can bake two cookie sheets at a time.
Cover your baking sheets with parchment paper for easy clean-up. You can also use silicone baking mats if you have them.
Beat the egg whites on medium speed using the whisk attachment of your mixer. Beat them until they are frothy. To me, it looks like foam on beer. Then add in the salt and cream of tartar. Whisk on medium to high until they hold peaks.
Then, switch over to the paddle attachment and add in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time. While adding in the sugar, continue to beat on medium to high speed. Beating constantly until the mixture is stiff and glossy.
Add in the peppermint extract if you are using that. Gently scrape the sides of the bowl down and fold in the chocolate chips with a spatula.
Divide the batter into bowls if adding the food coloring. You can leave them white or add coloring. Just stir gently if adding in food coloring and mix just until color is combined.
Drop batter by teaspoons onto your covered baking sheets. Bake them for 30 minutes at 250°F. The cookies will look just as you placed them onto the baking sheet.
When I recently made them for my family, I was surprised at how much they loved them. I knew they were good because they were one of my own favorite cookies when I was a kid. I just was surprised at how much they loved them!
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and rating below. I love hearing from you.
Christmas Meringue Cookies
- 2 egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup sugar
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ¾ cup mini chocolate chips
- Food coloring
- Preheat oven to 250°F.
- Using a mixer, beat egg whites on medium to high speed until frothy, using a whisk attachment.
- Add cream of tartar and salt. Beat on medium to high speed until they hold peaks.
- Change whisk attachment to paddle attachment. Add a tablespoon of sugar at a time, beating constantly until mixture is stiff and glossy.
- Add in the peppermint extract and fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter into bowls, as to how many colors you will be using.
- Add in the food coloring and stir until you have desired color.
- Cover baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats and drop by teaspoons onto baking sheet.
- Bake 250°F for 30 minutes.
- Cool completely.