These are great muffins for a weekend breakfast or brunch. The original recipe calls for white sugar which is what I have used many times and they turn out delicious. Recently I used brown sugar and they seemed even better. I think the brown sugar gives a little more flavor and also makes them a little softer.
You should take the butter and egg out ahead of time to let them both warm to room temperature. If you forget to take it out early enough, cutting up the butter into ½” pieces helps to soften it quicker. With them at room temperature they will mix in with the other ingredients better.
I would suggest washing your fruit before starting so it has time to dry before adding it to your mixture. With my experience, fresh fruit works better than frozen. I am writing this in March and can’t wait until summer is here so we can buy or pick fresh blueberries and strawberries!
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and place muffin liners in your jumbo muffin cups.
Blend the butter, flour, sugar, baking powder and salt with a pastry blender or fork in a medium bowl. You want to make sure your butter is soft enough so that it will work in easy. Once you have these ingredients mixed well, sprinkle in the cinnamon. Mix ingredients well a bit more and set the bowl aside.
Mash the bananas and place in a large bowl (stand mixer bowl). Add the eggs, one at a time beating after each one. Mix in the milk and vanilla. Mix until everything is combined. Slowly mix in the dry ingredients, just until everything is mixed well. Using a spatula, gently mix in the strawberries and blueberries. Fill up the muffin cups ¾ full. If you are adding the topping, (which I highly recommend) sprinkle a little on each muffin before placing them in the oven.
Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Let them cool slightly before serving.
Berry Banana Jumbo Muffins
- 1 cup of berries fresh blueberries and diced strawberries
- 3 small ripe bananas
- 2 ½ cups flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 6 tbsp. butter softened to room temperature
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. salt
- ¾ tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup milk I use almond milk or 1%
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Topping optional
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ tsp. cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Wash fruit. Let dry on towel while preparing the recipe. Dice up the strawberries.
- Mash the bananas.
- Using a pastry blender or fork, blend together the flour, sugar, butter, baking powder,salt the cinnamon.
- Place the mashed bananas into a large bowl (stand mixer bowl). Add in the eggs, beating after each one. Mix in the milk and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients. Mix just until everything is combined.
- Using a spatula, gently mix in the remaining fruit.
- Place batter into lined jumbo muffin cups. Fill the muffin cups ½ - ¾ full.
- If adding the topping, sprinkle a little on each muffin before baking.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
Makes 9-10 jumbo sized muffins.
Adapted from Food.com