Pumpkin. Are you a fan of eating pumpkin? I think it is one of those foods that you either love or don’t eat it at all. I am on “the don’t eat it at all “side. But I do see many delicious pumpkin flavored recipes out there that do look really good so maybe I will give it another try one of these days. This recipe for Pumpkin Cheese Ball is named that more for the shape of the cheese ball than the flavor. Yes, it is a cheese ball so that is what you get…no pumpkin flavoring in there at all.
I saw this idea recently on The Food Network’s show The Kitchen. Have you ever watched that show? I DVR it and watch it when I have some time. They have some great ideas on the show along with sharing some good cooking and baking tips. I would highly recommend watching it. My husband will even watch it with me if he is home when I have it on. And he doesn’t usually watch cooking shows.
This Pumpkin Cheese Ball is just what is named…a pumpkin shaped ball full of yummy cheesy flavor. This is every cheese lover’s dream. A tip they showed on The Kitchen was to use the cheese flavoring from a box of macaroni and cheese. I will tell you I made it both ways and that little cheese packet does add a little more kick to it.
It was a hit with my family. After I made it, I put it out with some blue corn tortilla chips and walked away to do something. When I came back there were not many chips left and a good amount of the Pumpkin Cheese Ball vanished! I like to ask my family to rate stuff 1 to 10 with 10 being the best. When I asked our daughter, she said “Whatever the highest number is….higher than 10”! She loved it. Plus it is fun because it looks just like a pumpkin.
This is a perfect appetizer for Halloween! To make it a bit more festive, I added some plastic spiders to the pumpkin. This also is a nice appetizer to have for Thanksgiving…just maybe leave the spiders off for that holiday!
If you are looking for something healthy to go along with all the treats that come along with Halloween, check out my recipe for Purple People Eater Smoothie. It is spooktacular!
Have a safe and happy Halloween!
- 1 8ounce package of shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 8 ounce package of shredded Colby and Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 8 ounce package of cream cheese, softened
- 1 packet of powdered cheese from your favorite macaroni and cheese box
- 1 cup finely crushed cheese crackers
- 1 stem of a bell pepper
- Finely crush the cracker crumbs in blender and place into a medium sized bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the softened cream cheese and shredded cheddar and Colby and Monterey Jack cheese in a medium sized bowl.
- Mix in the powdered cheese.
- Place onto a large piece plastic saran wrap. Wrap the saran wrap up tightly around the cheese mixture and form into a pumpkin shape.
- Take it out of the plastic wrap and roll the ball into the bowl of finely crushed cheese crackers. Roll it around until it is fully covered with the cracker crumbs.
- Wrap it tightly in another large piece of saran wrap. Chill for two hours or overnight.
- While it is still wrapped in saran wrap, use the end of a wooden spoon to make the ridges to look like a pumpkin.
- Spoon off a little on the top to place the stem.
- Place the stem of a bell pepper on top.
- Serve with chips or crackers.