These Rice Krispie Christmas Trees are great to make with kids. They are easy and fun to make and they look so festive for the holiday season!
I made these Christmas tree cookies last week for the first time with our daughter. She is getting to that age where spending time in the kitchen is a fun thing to do.
Well, at least her part is…the cleaning up part is on my end and is the least fun part of it! But I love having her in there with me making recipes. Her job was to add in the green food coloring and press the mini M&M’s on to the Christmas trees.
These are one of the easiest Christmas cookies to make. If you are not a baker or just short on time as many of us are at this time of the year…this is the recipe for you.
There is something about Rice Krispies Treats, isn’t there? Adults love them, kids love them…they are a hit all around. And adding a bit of chocolate to them with the M&M’s makes your chocolate lovers like them even more!
Why this recipe works:
- You only need five ingredients to make these adorable Christmas cookie!
- It is a very easy recipe which is great for those who really don’t like to bake or if you are short on time.
- This recipe is kid friendly…kids can help out making these!
- They can be made in less than an hour.
How to make these Rice Krispie Christmas Trees:
Grease your 13×9 baking pan and set that aside.
In a medium to large sized pot, melt the butter over low heat. As the butter is just about melted, add in the marshmallows and stir. Stir until the marshmallows are coated with the butter and the marshmallows are completely melted. Remove the pan from the heat once the marshmallows are completely melted.
Slowly add in the Rice Krispie cereal, adding a couple of cups of cereal in at a time. It makes it much easier to combine the ingredients if you add a little at a time.
Using a buttered spatula or large spoon, press the cereal into your pan evenly. Buttering the spatula or spoon keeps the cereal and marshmallow mixture from sticking and makes the job a whole lot easier!
Immediately remove the cookie cutter along with the Rice Krispie tree. If it sticks a little, use the spatula to help lift it out.
Place the trees on parchment paper. Gently press the mini M&M candy onto the trees and decorate. This part is great for kids to help out with!
- Butter your spatula or spoon and your cookie cutter.
- When adding in the cereal, add in a couple of cups in at at time.
- After you cut out the Rice Krispie Christmas trees, place them on Reynolds Kitchens Parchment Paper so they don’t stick the the counter. Plus, easier clean up!
- To use up the most of your Rice Krispie treats, cut the trees close to each other when cutting them out.
- Add the mini M&M’s right after they are cut so the M&M’s will stick easier.
- Eat them within two days of making them. Rice Krispie treats are best fresh.
What is your favorite Christmas cookie to make? Is it a family recipe handed down or a new one you just made?
Here are some other cookie recipes that you might like:
If you’ve tried this Rice Krispie Christmas Tree recipe or any other recipe on my blog please let me know how you liked it in the comments below and give a star rating. I love hearing from you! You can also FOLLOW ME on INSTAGRAM, FACEBOOK OR PINTEREST to see more delicious food!
This post is not sponsored, but you will find affiliate links on this page. The price you pay as a consumer does not change, but I may make a small commission based on your purchase.
Rice Krispie Christmas Trees
Rice Krispie Christmas Trees are a no bake, easy recipe. They are a great recipe to gets kids in the kitchen helping you!
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 package (10 ounce) marshmallows
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- green food coloring
- mini M&M's
- butter to grease pan and cookie cutter
Grease the bottom and sides of your13x9 pan with butter. Set aside the pan.
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter over low heat until it is just about melted. Add in the marshmallows Stir until the marshmallows are coated with the butter and completely melted. Remove pan from heat.
- Add in the Rice Krispies cereal, two cups at a time, and stir well until evenly coated. Add in the green food coloring (I use about 10 drops of food coloring) and stir until mixed in completely.
- Using a buttered spatula press the cereal mixture into your pan evenly.
- Grease the sides of your tree shaped cookie cutter with butter. Press down onto the Rice Krispies treats with the cookie cutter. Remove the trees from the pan and place them onto parchment paper. Gently press the mini M&M candy onto the trees and decorate.
Repeat cutting out Christmas trees as close as you can to use up the most of the Rice Krispies treats.
- Store them in a covered container for up to two days.
Butter your spatula or spoon and your cookie cutter. This makes working with the melted marshmallow much easier.
When adding in the cereal, add in a couple of cups at a time. This will make it easier to combine the ingredients.
To use up the most of your Rice Krispie treats, cut the trees close to each other when cutting them out.
Use a buttered spatula to help remove the trees if needed.
After you cut out the trees, place them on parchment paper so they won't stick to your working surface. This also makes easier clean up.
Add the mini M&M's to the trees right after they are cut so the candy will stick easier.
Eat them within two days of making them.