These Halloween Witch Hat Calzones will be a hit on Halloween! They make the perfect appetizer or side dish to serve at Halloween parties or just for fun at home!
Halloween can be a busy day. Many times it falls on a weekday so there is work/school during the day. If you have young kids, there may be a Halloween party at school so that adds more to your already busy day. But you know Halloween comes once a year so you do it all anyways, right?
Three good reasons to make them for Halloween:
- They are so easy to make.
- They are very festive.
- Kids love them!
My family loves Halloween and this recipe is one we typically make each Halloween season. Yeah, we call it Halloween season in our house. It is not just one day.
There is the big decision of what the costume(s) will be, going out for pumpkins, decorating inside the house and the big day…when my husband decorates outside. That is a big day here! He really gets into it. So much that one year on Halloween we had some people come and take photos of their kids by our house! Halloween is pretty big here at our house.
We also have typical recipes we make during Halloween. One of the traditional recipes we make are these Halloween Witch Hat Calzones. We try to make them every Halloween season. My family loves them.
Ingredients you will need to make the Witch Hat Calzones:
- Mozzarella cheese
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- Cream cheese
- Crescent rolls
- Dried oregano
- Pizza sauce
How to make the Halloween Witch Calzones:
First, preheat your oven to 425 degrees. Place parchment paper or silicone baking mat on your baking pan.
While your oven is heating, slice up the pepperoni into small pieces. If you have kitchen shears, I would highly suggest using them. It took me a few times making these to realize that! If not, cut the shapes with a good sharp knife.
You will need 1/2 cup pepperoni slices to mix in with the cheese mixture. Then take a little more pepperoni and slice into different shapes like triangles, diamonds and crescent moon. I usually stick to triangles because cutting is not my thing for some reason!
Set the fun shaped pepperoni aside. These will be used for decorating the witch hat.
Mix the softened cream cheese, mozzarella and Parmesan cheese and 1/2 cup pepperoni together in a medium sized bowl until well combined.
Unroll the crescent rolls into separate triangles and place half of them on your prepared baking sheet. Place the other half to the side for later.
Slightly beat the egg and mix in the water. Then brush the edges of the triangles with the egg.
Scoop 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons of cheese mixture and place that on the middle of the crescent roll.
Take one of the other triangles that you set to the side and place on top of the triangle with the cheese. Gently press down on the edges so that the cheese mixture stays within the witch hat during baking.
Fold over the bottom half of the triangle so it resembles the brim of a witch hat. Work the tip of the triangle so it looks even more like a witch hat.
Brush the witch hats with a little of the egg mixture. Add the fun shaped pepperoni pieces to the brim of the hat and sprinkle with dried oregano.
Bake at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Serve with warm pizza sauce.
Using parchment paper or silicone mats on your baking sheet promotes even baking and easy clean up. Silicone mats are nice option because they are reusable.
Don’t forget to brush the top crescent roll with the egg mixture. By doing this, they will be golden and crispy on the outside.
Looking for more Halloween recipes? Here are some more Halloween favorite recipes for you:
Enjoy and have a fun Halloween night!
Halloween Witch Hat Calzones
These delicious and easy to make Witch Hat Calzones are perfect for Halloween!
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, sliced small (a little extra for hat detail)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 packages crescent rolls (8 ounce each package)
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon water
- dried oregano
- pizza sauce, served warm
Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place parchment paper or silicone mat on baking sheet.
- Slice up the pepperoni into small pieces. Set aside. Cut some pepperoni into fun shapes to put on the hat (diamonds, triangles, crescent moons). Set those aside.
- Mix together the softened cream cheese, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and pepperoni in a medium sized bowl until combined well.
- Unroll the crescent rolls into separate triangles. Place half of the triangles on the prepared baking sheet and set the other half to the side.
- Slightly beat the egg in a small bowl. Mix in the water. Brush on the egg at the edges of the crescent roll.
- Spoon out 1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons onto the center of each crescent roll.
- Take the other half of the crescent rolls and place each one on top of the crescent roll with the cheese mixture.
- Gently press together at the edges to make sure the cheese mixture stays inside the crescent rolls while baking.
- Fold up the bottom of the crescent roll so it looks like the brim of a witch’s hat. Work the tip of the hat so it looks more like a witch hat.
- Brush the witch hats with a little of the egg.
- Place a few fun shaped pepperoni pieces onto the edge of the hat. (triangles, diamonds, crescent moons)
- Sprinkle oregano over the hat.
- Place baking sheet in the middle of the oven and bake at 425 for 8-10 minutes or until golden. Serve with warm pizza sauce.
- Makes 8 witches hat calzones.
Using parchment paper or silicone mats helps with even baking and easy clean up.
Brushing the calzones with the egg mixture helps them to be golden and crispy.
Adapted from Better Homes & Garden