This Whole Wheat Pasta Salad Recipe is loaded with fresh summer vegetables like cucumber and tomatoes and is coated in a deliciously zesty Italian dressing. Made with whole wheat pasta, it is a filling summer side dish.
Summer is here, so it’s time to think about all those delicious summertime recipes we love to make. This Veggie Pasta Salad is one of those delicious recipes.
We love to make so many varieties of delicious pasta salad in the summer; a Tomato Basil Pasta Salad, a Chicken Garden Pasta Salad with Mozzarella Cheese, and an Italian Pasta Salad - all with rotini pasta - but this salad uses whole wheat spaghetti noodles. I also love to make a Zesty Quinoa Salad and an Antipasto Pasta Salad.
This easy pasta salad is one of our favorite side dishes to enjoy in the summer when we have fresh vegetables like cucumbers and tomatoes. Sometimes we even add cooked chicken to the salad.
I first had this recipe when I was younger… I remember my sister-in-law making it, and I loved it! I am the youngest of six kids, so while one of my brothers was married with kids, I was just a kid myself. So once I was grown up and married as well, this was one of the recipes I had to start making for my family.
This is a great recipe to have with a hamburger on the grill. Need a great hamburger recipe? Check out our Barbecue Ranch Hamburger recipe. This one is my husband’s creation!
- Cooked Whole Wheat Spaghetti Noodles or Whole Grain Pasta, about half of a 16 ounce box
- Cucumber, peeled and sliced
- Grape Tomatoes or Cherry Tomatoes, sliced
- Salad Supreme Seasoning or Italian Seasoning
- Zesty Italian Dressing
- Optional, Kalamata Olives, Feta Cheese or Goat Cheese, Artichoke Hearts, Pepperoncini Peppers, Roasted Red Peppers, Fresh Basil, & Cooked Chicken Breast (Really, any fresh veggies that you desire!)
How to Make Whole Wheat Pasta Salad
- Cook the noodles as directed in a large pot of salted water until they are al dente, then rinse them under cold water and drain.
- While the pasta cooks, slice up the tomatoes, then peel and slice the cucumbers.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked pasta, sliced tomatoes, and diced cucumbers. Add olives, cheese, and other mix-ins if you are using them.
- Sprinkle in the Salad Supreme seasoning or Italian seasoning. Add the Zesty Italian dressing and gently stir until well combined.
- Cover and chill the salad for four hours or until you are ready to serve it.
- Toss the pasta salad before serving it. Drizzle a little more dressing and/or Salad Supreme seasoning on the salad before serving it, if desired. (It's even better the following day, but you might need to toss it with more dressing.)
I wrote this recipe as a portion size for a family of four. This is also a great recipe to take to those summer picnics and parties. If you were to do that, I would suggest doubling the recipe.
How to Store Pasta Salad
Store leftover pasta salad in an airtight container in the refrigerator. Toss with a little salad dressing or extra-virgin olive oil before serving leftovers the next day.
What to Serve with Pasta Salad
This delicious pasta salad is an excellent side dish for so many main courses - pork chops, fried chicken tenders, and even a turkey breast cooked in a slow cooker. Here are some more ideas for sides to serve with pasta salad.
If you happen to make the recipe for Memorial Day, the Fourth of July, or Labor Day, you might want to check out my red, white, and blue M&M Kit Kat Cake recipe. If you love Kit Kats, M&M’s, or just chocolate, you will love this cake as much as I do!
Whole Wheat Pasta Salad
- 8 ounces cooked spaghetti noodles about half of the 16 ounce box
- 1 cucumber peeled and sliced (about one cup)
- 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 tablespoon Salad Supreme seasoning
- 1 cup Zesty Italian dressing
- Cook noodles as directed. Rinse under cold water and drain.8 ounces cooked spaghetti noodles
- Slice up the tomatoes, peel and slice the cucumbers.1 cucumber, 1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles, tomatoes and cucumbers. Sprinkle in the Salad Supreme seasoning. Pour in the Zesty Italian dressing. Gently stir until well combined.1 tablespoon Salad Supreme seasoning, 1 cup Zesty Italian dressing
- Cover and chill four hours or until ready to serve.
- Toss before serving. Drizzle a little more dressing and/or Salad Supreme seasoning on before serving, if desired.