Lasagna has always been one of my favorite dinners. This specific recipe is one of my favorite recipes to make for dinner. The flavor is so good with the mushrooms and vegetables. Whether you like mushrooms or not, I think you will like this lasagna recipe. When I first made it, my son didn’t even realize it was vegetarian until I told him. It is really good!
Cook the lasagna noodles following the package directions. Rinse with cold water and drain. Take them out of the pan and lay them flat so they won’t stick together. When I make it I only use six noodles and that seems to be enough for the layering.
Cook the mushrooms, onion, pepper and garlic and olive oil until they are soft, stirring often. I use garlic powder instead of garlic. I don’t know why I use that over garlic but have as far as I can remember…maybe my mom used it? Not really sure, but when I cook using garlic cloves, I did not like the taste as much. So for me, I use garlic powder. Use whichever you prefer. I have used green pepper and also red, orange and yellow. The red, orange and yellow peppers will give a sweeter taste than the green pepper as they are a sweeter pepper. Sometimes, it is just whatever peppers I happen to have in my fridge. Either way, it will be delicious. Once they are tender, add in the shredded carrots. Cook an additional few minutes. Then add the two jars of sauce and greens. Gently stir all ingredients together. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
While the sauce and vegetable mixture is simmering, mix together the ricotta cheese, two cups of mozzarella cheese and the eggs in a separate bowl.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spread one cup of the sauce to the bottom of your 13 x 9 baking dish. Layer half each, lasagna noodles, cheese mixture, sauce and parmesan cheese. Repeat layering and top with the remaining two cups of mozzarella cheese.
Bake uncovered for 40 minutes and then let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
This recipe is adapted from allrecipes.com
- whole wheat lasagna noodles you will need six noodles
- 1 lb. fresh mushrooms sliced
- ¾ cup chopped green pepper or red, orange and yellow
- ¾ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup shredded dark greens spinach, romaine, whichever you prefer
- 1-2 shredded carrots medium sized
- 3 cloves garlic minced (or ¾ tsp. garlic powder)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 26 ounce jars pasta sauce
- 1 15 ounce container ricotta cheese
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Cook the lasagna noodles as directed on the package. Rinse and drain.
- Cook the mushrooms, onion, pepper and garlic in the olive oil until they are soft, stirring often. Add the shredded carrots. Cook an additional two to three minutes. Add the pasta sauce and greens to the vegetable mix. Bring that to a boil and then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Mix together the ricotta cheese, two cups of the mozzarella cheese and the eggs in a separate bowl.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spread one cup of the sauce onto the bottom of your 13 x 9 pan. Layer half each, lasagna noodles, cheese mixture, sauce and parmesan cheese. Repeat layering and top with remaining two cups of mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes, let sit for 15 minutes before serving.
Adapted from allrecipes.com