These S'mores Cookies are just what you are looking for when you are craving a delicious s'more. They are jumbo in size and flavor with melty chocolate and marshmallows - which makes them even more irresistible!
Have you ever had s’mores? They are a yummy treat people love to make over a campfire. They are great for a summertime treat or when going camping.
They consist of a melted marshmallow roasted on a stick over the campfire placed on top of a chocolate bar sandwiched between two graham crackers. Kids love them, but let's be honest - so do adults!
The story behind the recipe:
I love to make cookies for my family and always looking for something different to try. When I saw a package of Hershey's S'mores Pieces in the grocery store I had to try them and I have to tell you they did not disappoint!
The s'mores mix added to the cookie dough batter really made these cookies taste like s'mores. The mix consists of chocolate chips, little marshmallows, and graham crackers.
This mix has become a little harder to find lately, so if you can't find it - you can use an even mix of chocolate chips, mini-marshmallows, and either crushed-up graham crackers or Golden Grahams cereal. (About 2 cups.)
I make these cookies jumbo-sized. To make them this size I use my cookie scoop which measures out ¼ cup of cookie mix for each cookie.
How to make these S'mores Cookies:
Chill the Dough:
The first thing to tell you about this recipe is to chill the dough. When I make these cookies, the dough seems a little gooey and the cookie dough balls don't hold their shape very well before baking. Then I end up with a thinner cookie since the cookie dough spreads during the baking time.
Chilling the dough will help the dough spread less and give you thicker cookies. By doing this you will also heighten the flavor of your cookies since all the flavors can mingle together while being chilled.
So now you know to give yourself a little more time when making these cookies. I like to make the dough and chill it overnight. You should chill the dough for at least three hours.
The dough will be hard when you take it out of the fridge. While the oven is preheating, take out the dough and let it sit for about ten minutes to let it soften up a bit. It will continue to soften as you make the cookie dough balls.
Making the Dough:
To make the dough for these s'mores cookies, start by combining the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cornstarch in a large bowl. Set that aside.
In a medium-sized pot, melt the butter on low heat. Stir often so that the butter doesn't burn.
Melt the butter until just a little is left and most of it is melted. Give it a good stir to completely melt the butter. Remove from the heat and let it cool a little.
Whisk in the sugars, eggs, and vanilla extract with the melted butter until it is well combined. Once the ingredients are combined, use a large spoon or spatula to mix everything together.
It's a good idea to have both of the sugars measured out ahead of time so you can add them to the melted butter right away.
Slowly add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until well blended. If your pot is not large enough, add the ingredients together in the mixing bowl that you used for the flour mixture.
You can just use a large spoon or spatula for mixing the ingredients. A mixer is not required.
Add in the S'mores Baking Pieces with a large spoon or spatula. I like to add in a little more chocolate so I add in an extra ¼ cup of chocolate chips.
You can save a couple of tablespoons of the s'mores mix to add to the top of the cookie dough balls if you want. Doing this will make your s'mores cookies look a little prettier. (This step is optional but fun!)
Then, cover the dough tightly and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
Baking the Cookies:
Preheat your oven to 350°F and line your baking sheets with parchment paper or a non-stick baking mat.
Why line baking sheets with parchment paper? It helps to prevent sticking and also reduces browning. Another great reason to use parchment paper is easy clean-up.
While your oven is preheating, take out the dough that has chilled and place it on the counter to soften up a little.
These cookies are jumbo-sized, so make sure you use a large cookie scoop like an OXO Good Grips Large Cookie Scoop. The one I use measures ¼ cup.
Scoop out dough balls and place them onto the prepared baking sheet. You might want to give them a little roll between your hands to round out the edges if needed.
Place each cookie dough ball onto the baking sheet. I would suggest only doing six at a time as they will be larger cookies and take up more room on the baking sheet. I like to use Wilton Cookie Sheets and they work great for my cookies each time!
Before baking, gently press a few pieces of the S'mores Baking Pieces on each cookie. This makes your cookies look prettier! This step is optional.
Bake them for 12-14 minutes. The edges will just be lightly browned when done.
Let them cool on the baking sheet for five minutes and then place them onto a cooling rack to completely cool.
For better baking, I would suggest doing one baking sheet at a time.
- Chill the dough. Your cookies will turn out thicker and sturdier if you chill the dough.
- Measure out the sugars before you melt the butter and set them aside. This way the sugars are ready to be added to the melted butter right away.
- Line your baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats. This will prevent the cookies to stick to the pan and also help with less browning. Also easier clean up for you!
- Make sure you have at least two inches in between each cookie dough ball. They are jumbo-sized cookies and will spread out wider than an average cookie.
- Only place 6 - 8 cookies on a baking sheet at a time so there is enough room for the cookies to spread while baking and not run into each other.
- Bake one baking sheet of cookies at a time. Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven for the best baking results.
These Jumbo S'mores Cookies would be so much fun to have at a kid's birthday party or at a special occasion. Although I think they would be a fun treat for any day!
If you love jumbo cookies like these S'mores Cookies, try out my Ultimate Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies…another favorite of mine!
I hope you enjoy these cookies as much as we do! Let me know how you liked the cookies by leaving a comment….would love to hear from you!
- 1 cup unsalted butter 2 sticks
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 bag of Hershey’s S’mores Baking Pieces (Reserve about 2 tablesoons of S’mores Baking Pieces to gently place on top of cookies before baking.)
- ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cornstarch in a bowl. Set aside.3 cups all-purpose flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, ½ teaspoon salt, 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch, 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- In a medium pot, soften the butter on low heat. Do not melt the butter completely…just until it is just about melted. Remove from heat.1 cup unsalted butter
- Whisk the sugars, eggs and vanilla extract into the butter until well combined.1 cup granulated sugar, ½ cup brown sugar, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients to the butter mixture until well blended.
- Fold in the S’mores Baking pieces and extra chocolate chips with a spatula or wooden spoon. (I reserve a small amount of the S’mores Baking Pieces to place on top of the cookies before baking. This is optional but just makes the cookies look prettier.)1 bag of Hershey’s S’mores Baking Pieces, ¼ cup chocolate chips
- Cover and chill the dough for at least three hours, but preferably overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Take out the cookie dough and let it warm up a little while oven is preheating. (about ten minutes)
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Using large cookie scoop (I used ¼ cup size), scoop out dough and place on prepared baking sheet. Roll them into balls and place them on baking sheet. Only place six at a time as they are jumbo sized cookies.
- Gently press a few pieces of the S’mores Baking Pieces on each cookie before baking, optional.
- Bake 12-14 minutes.
- Let them cool on baking sheet for 5-10 minutes before placing them onto a cooling rack to completely cool.
Update Note: This recipe was originally posted in 2017, but was updated again in 2022 to include step by step directions and new photos.