This Pita Pizza recipe is a great one for nights when you want to make a nutritious dinner but don’t want to spend a lot of time in the kitchen preparing it. If you love pizza, you will love this recipe.
This easy recipe for delicious pita pizza is a great way to enjoy pizza night at home and skip the delivery. It's such a fun way to make your own personal pizzas with all of your favorite toppings.
I love to make a veggie pita pizza with gooey cheese for dinner - it's a great way to cook up some fresh veggies, and it's a great alternative to a traditional pizza because you don't need to deal with pizza dough.
To make this pita pizza recipe, you'll need a few simple ingredients. I've included some topping ideas for what we like to use to make veggie pita pizzas, but you can use whatever your family likes:
- Olive Oil
- Onion, diced
- Bell Peppers, diced
- Mushrooms, finely chopped
- Garlic Powder
- Spaghetti Sauce or Pizza Sauce - You can also use your favorite tomato sauce or marinara sauce. You can use store-bought sauce or make your own homemade pizza sauce.
- Mozzarella Cheese - Try to use freshly grated mozzarella cheese as it melts better than the stuff in the bag.
- Parmesan Cheese, grated (optional)
- Whole Wheat Pita Bread - You can use your favorite brand of pitas.
- Optional - We also like to add some olive oil, fresh herbs (like fresh basil), and red pepper flakes for extra flavor.
We have also made this recipe using fresh mozzarella cheese, red peppers, and red onions to use up things in the fridge. Feel free to add your own favorite toppings like black olives, bell peppers, or even leftover chicken. The possibilities are endless!
- A Baking Sheet
- A Pizza Cutter
- A Sharp Knife & Cutting Board
The deal I make with my daughter is if she eats one of the vegetarian pizzas, I will make her a pita pizza with just sauce and cheese. A win for Mom, a win for my daughter. She likes the Veggie Pita Pizza, but I think she might like plain cheese pizza just a little more; you know how little kids like to eat.
How to Make Them
To make this pizza recipe, begin by preheating your oven to 400°F and dicing up peppers, onion, and mushrooms.
Then, heat a skillet over medium heat, then add olive oil. Add the diced peppers and onion to the skillet, sprinkle with the garlic powder and stir. Cook until the peppers and onions are slightly tender, and then add the mushrooms. Cook until everything is tender, stirring occasionally.
I use my cast iron skillet for this recipe (and just about all my recipes that use a skillet). I love how it cooks and cleans up easily. To clean my cast iron skillet, I use a cast iron cleaner. A little scrubbing with this gadget while the skillet is still warm (if not, just add some warm water to the skillet), and it cleans up so nicely. Then I just make sure it is nice and dry and coat it with a little olive oil, and it is like new.
Once your veggies are cooked, line your baking sheets with parchment paper, foil, or silicone mats.
- Place the pita pockets on the baking sheets, and it's time to make the pizzas.
- Pour a little sauce over each pita pocket.
- Evenly divide up the veggie mixture over each pita.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over them.
- Sprinkle a little grated parmesan cheese over each one (optional).
- Once your pita pizzas are topped, it's time to bake them. Pop them in the oven and let them bake for 10-12 minutes until the cheese melts and you have a nice crispy crust.
Optionally, you can preheat your toaster oven to 400°F and bake the pita pizzas for 10-15 minutes.
Finally, top your pita pizzas with some fresh basil leaves and enjoy! This recipe makes 8 mini pizzas, the perfect size for a quick dinner or meal prep.
The sauce and cheese amounts in the recipe are what works for our family. If you like your pizza to be a little saucier or cheesier, then by all means… add more. I hope you love them as much as we do!
How to Store Leftover Pizza
Once cooled, store any leftover pizza in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
How to Reheat Leftover Pizza
There are a few ways to reheat pizza. We love to use our air fryer to reheat leftover pizza. You can also use a toaster oven or just eat it cold. My in-law's favorite trick is to microwave the pizza for about 30 seconds to melt the cheese, then put the pizza in a hot pan on the stove to get the bottom nice and crispy again.
- Let everyone make their own pizza and use veggies that they like - that way, everyone can have a pizza that they enjoy.
- Be sure to preheat your oven to a hot temperature - around 400°F - to ensure that the crust gets nice and crispy.
- Use fresh mozzarella cheese for a gooey and delicious topping. (The pre-shredded stuff in the bag doesn't melt as well.)
- Add some olive oil to the pita bread before topping it with sauce and cheese. This will help the crust get crispy and flavorful.
- Don't be afraid to experiment with different topping combinations. Try adding fresh veggies like bell peppers, red onions, or even leftover chicken.
- To add even more flavor, sprinkle some red pepper flakes or fresh herbs on top of the pizzas.
- If you want a healthier option, use whole-wheat pita bread.
🙋♀️ Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, cook your pita pizzas at 350°F for about 7 minutes, checking after 5 minutes to be sure the cheese is not burning.
Yes, you can definitely make these pizzas in a regular oven. Just preheat your oven to 400°F and bake the pita pizzas on a baking sheet for 10-15 minutes.
Yes, you can make this recipe gluten-free by using gluten-free pita bread. You can find this at most grocery stores or online.
Yes, you can definitely make this recipe ahead of time. Just prepare the pita pizzas as directed and store them in an airtight container in the fridge. When you're ready to eat, bake them in a hot oven for 10-15 minutes. (Though ideally, you should make them fresh and cook them when you're ready to eat them!)
Pita Pizza Variations
There are so many options to make delicious pizzas - a pita is such a great vessel to turn your favorite ingredients into a quick pizza using lots of different toppings.
- Greek Pita Pizza - Use Greek Pita Bread and make a Greek Pizza using feta cheese, kalamata olives, and pepperoncini peppers.
- BBQ Chicken Pita Pizza - Use BBQ sauce, chicken, and blue cheese.
- Buffalo Chicken Pita Pizza - Use buffalo sauce, chicken, and blue cheese or ranch. Yum!
We hope you enjoy this easy pita bread pizza recipe! It's a delicious and healthy option for pizza night at home. Plus, it's a fun and easy way to make your own personal pizzas with your favorite toppings. If you enjoy these easy pita pizzas, get some more healthy recipes here!
Looking for More Pizza Recipes?
- Supreme Pizza - A unique blend of peppers, Polish sausage, mustard, and cheese for this one.
- Breakfast Pizza - Scrambled eggs, peppers, onion, ham, and cheese are the stars of this pizza.
- Buffalo Chicken Wing Pizza - If you love buffalo chicken wings… this pizza is for you!
Did you make this recipe? If so, please leave a comment and rating below. I love hearing from you.
Veggie Pita Pizza
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2-3 bell peppers diced
- 16 ounces mushrooms finely chopped (about 5 cups)
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- Parmesan cheese grated
- 8 whole wheat pita pockets
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Cover your baking sheets with parchment paper, foil, or silicone mats.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, then add olive oil2 tablespoons olive oil
- Add diced peppers and onion to the skillet, sprinkle with the garlic powder and stir. Cook until the peppers and onions are slightly tender, and then add in the mushrooms. Cook until everything is tender, stirring occasionally.1 onion, 2-3 bell peppers, 16 ounces mushrooms, ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Place the pita pockets on your baking sheet and cover evenly with the sauce, veggie mixture and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese (optional).2 cups spaghetti sauce, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese, 8 whole wheat pita pockets
- Bake for 10-12 minutes.
Great idea using pita bread as the base for the pizza! my kids are the same way, the love pizza with just sauce and cheese, but they have to eat there veggies!
Thanks Albert! Yes...gotta get those veggies in!
My daughter is not a huge fan of her veggies but this veggie pita pizza she LOVES! I cut up and cook the veggies but she likes to help and put the pizza together. Thanks Jeannie.
It is always great to have a recipe with healthy ingredients that kids are happy to eat!