I don’t know about you, but as much as I love to cook and bake for my family, simple recipes have a special place in my cooking world. We all have busy lives…but I do feel making homemade meals (and sometimes desserts) is so very important. Just because it is homemade doesn’t mean it has to be difficult, have a huge list of ingredients or take hours to make. This recipe for Barbecue Chicken Quesadillas is just that. Simple to make…delicious to eat. And…it only uses five ingredients! Woo Hoo!
When I say simple, I really mean it with this recipe. Using rotisserie chicken cuts back on some time right there. We have a few go to rotisserie chicken recipes and I have to say I think this is one of our favorites.
So, let’s start. Cut up the rotisserie chicken into small pieces and set that aside. We like to use whole wheat tortillas, but you use whichever you prefer. Rub a little olive oil on one side of the tortilla. Place the tortilla, olive oil side down, on a plate. Pour a tablespoon of the barbecue sauce on the tortilla and spread it only on one half of the tortilla. (My husband’s trick is to put all the ingredients on one side of the tortilla and then fold in half.) Then add about 1/3 cup of the chicken, spread another tablespoon of barbecue sauce and top it off with two tablespoons of shredded cheese. We like to use either cheddar or taco cheese. Fold the tortilla in half, and repeat until you are out of the ingredients. I usually make about ten quesadillas. I make them all at once and stack them. When you have just a couple left to do, turn on the heat to medium and warm up your skillet. I do it this way because they don’t cook that long and I don’t want them to burn as I am preparing the next ones. So, I find this way works easier. Cook them 2-3 minutes on each side until they are lightly browned and crisp.
Serve warm. Garnish with chives and serve with sour cream if that is what you like. Add some cut up fresh veggies and there you have it. A nice simple homemade dinner!
Barbecue Chicken Quesadillas
- 1 Rotisserie chicken cut into small pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheddar or taco cheese
- 1 ½ cups barbecue sauce
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 package of soft tortillas
For each quesadilla
- 1/3 cup cooked chicken cut into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese
- 2 tablespoons barbecue sauce
- Small amount of olive oil
- Cut up the rotisserie chicken into small pieces.
- Heat skillet on stove top to medium heat.
- Spread a small amount of olive oil on one side of each tortilla.
- Turn over the tortilla and pour on one tablespoon barbecue sauce, place 1/3 cup cut up chicken, the other tablespoon of barbecue sauce and then two tablespoons of cheese on one half of the tortilla. Fold the tortilla in half and place in skillet.
- Cook 2-3 minutes on each side until each side is lightly browned.
- Serve warm. Add chives and serve with sour cream if desired.