Summer is coming to an end on the calendar, but the weather so far this month has been beautiful here in New York. This is wonderful because we all know colder and snowy days will be here soon enough. With this extended summer weather, my herb and tomato plants are still doing well. My basil did really well this year…which means we made this delicious recipe for Grilled Chicken Bruschetta many times for dinner.
I am not one who grills in our family. That would be my husband. He has been making this recipe for years now. And with the basil doing so well we just had to make this recipe a bit more than we normally do. It is one of our favorite grilled recipes. So while we have an abundance of fresh basil, we use it up with this recipe often!
Our tomato plants are still doing well too so this is the perfect recipe to use up some of those last of the summer tomatoes and basil. If you don’t have a garden of your own, the farmer's market is a great place to still get fresh produce. That is one of my favorite things about summer…it is so nice to buy fruits and vegetables fresh from the farm.
I know school is back in session now and fall is just around the corner, but grilling season can go on for a while yet. It is a great tasting recipe and also doesn’t take up too much of your time so you can still kick back and enjoy your evening. :o)
Grilled Bruschetta Chicken
- 1 lb. chicken breast
- ½ cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- ¼ cup Italian salad dressing additional
- 2 tablespoons of finely chopped basil
- 1 slice of mozzarella cheese per piece of chicken
- Marinate the chicken in ½ cup Italian dressing for two to four hours.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, ¼ cup Italian dressing and finely chopped basil.
- Place chicken on foil, folding up the edges to contain the marinade. Cook on the grill for 8-10 minutes. Flip the chicken, add a slice of cheese to each piece of chicken and scoop the tomato basil mixture over the chicken. Cook an additional 8-10 minutes.